Monday 10 August 2009

Art Deco Commission

Something very different from me.................this card has caused me a small headache!!! A man at work asked.....well sort of told me he wanted me to make a card for his wife who is 50!!!! I don't really do commissions but found my self saying yes, when I asked what she liked, he replied to my horror 'Art Deco'.

I looked everywhere for something suitable, the lovely Lynne from Rainbow Ribbons & Crafts lent me an Art Deco CD but I did not like how the images were printing out so I gave it back. I know now I was using the wrong paper!!!

I eventually saw an Art Deco calender on a colleagues desk at work, i begged to borrow it, took it home & photo copied 1 of the images onto photo paper. I matted & layered it onto red mirri board (emergency trip to Hobbycraft yesterday), used my computer to print the sentiment in the closest looking Art Deco font I could find which I then cut out with a nestie tag. The organza ribbon is also from yesterdays visit to Hobbycraft & the gems are from my stash.

This card is really not the type of thing I make so I was well out of my comfort zone, it seems a little basic but I think anymore would have ruined it, I hope his wife likes it!!!

Thanks for looking, please feel free to leave a comment as I love reading them.

Hugs
Sarah

18 comments:

  1. I think you did really well Sarah - it so elegant and very romantic - I bet his wife will think he is an excellent husband. Going to all of the trouble of getting a cutom made card :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab card mum i love the image you have used.
    Happy crafting & hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah, your man at work is going to be soooo pleased with this. It's beautiful & looks so professional. I know how hard you worked on this, I hope he appreciates it!!
    Big Hugs,
    Andie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is gorgeous and pretty much ticks all the right boxes (hate making commission cards gives me a headache too).
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Sarah, you did a great job with this card, very Art Deco indeed :) Love the colour combo and the image, well done you.

    Have a good week.

    Alex x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fantastic job Sarah. I would definately have struggled with this one as well. I'm sure she'll love it.
    Hugs xx
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous Sarah, you may have felt you were out of your comfort zone, but it definately dosen't look that way. You've made a stunning card.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Sarah you did good girl. Me I would have admitted defeat!!! Hope he appreciats the blood sweat and tears. Sue :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great, well done. Thanks for the lovely comment about my 'makeover'. No, it didn't take long a couple of days. You give her some details about what you want and she does the rest.

    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its absolutely stunning, great job considering you don't normally do commissions, whereas i do mostly commissions!!! lol.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply Gorgeous card..Such a beautiful image and the colors are perfect..Very lovely work..I found your blog through your sons blog..He is one very talented young man.Plane to see where he gets his talent from.
    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab job Sarah, I would have struggled with this too as I'm not that into art deco but you have done a great job, I'm sure he will be really pleased. Commissions always cause headaches!

    Hugs and smiles,
    Katrina xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi..this is so fab..you did a great job..like Linda i found your blog through your son..what a darling boy and a great cardmaker in the making!! a credit to you and his nan!!
    regards
    Jan..x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Sarah! I would have been at a total loss making an Art Deco card. You did a fantastic job and sounds like a lot of work for this fella! He owes you big! It is gorgeous. Just the right elements I would say. Hugs, Dena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sarah,
    Already commented on your card. Just wanted to let you know there is something on my blog for you. I was going to give it to Fiona and John as well but then I thought you could do that.
    Happy crafting
    tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is great hun you have made a stunning card love cheryl xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. you did a brilliant job Sarah, well done. hugs rachxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah,

    This card is gorgeous. So different from your usual style but very elegant and ideal for the occasion.

    Look forward to my class tonight.

    Luv & Hugs & xs,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete